In a break from normal programming, I thought I’d share a recipe with you. Don’t worry… This isn’t about to turn into a cookery blog. For one thing, I can only cook about 3 different dishes, and for another thing, this recipe doesn’t actually involve any cooking.
My partner and I were given one of those hand blender things for Christmas by my in-laws, and one of the first things I wanted to try my hand at was hummus (or houmous, or however the fuck you spell it.) I found one recipe online which said that the tahini (a weird, icky paste made from sesame seeds) was optional, and that all you really need is a tin of chickpeas, 2 cloves of garlic, some olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice and that’s it.
Try making hummus without tahini and you’ll end up with intensely garlic-flavoured cement, no matter how much lemon juice and salt you add in a desperate attempt to make it edible.
After much experimenting I’ve finally nailed hummus, and what’s more I’ve added jalapenos to give it a bit of a kick. So here’s my recipe for Ultimate Jalapeno Hummus. Seriously… You can make this in about 5 minutes. The only appliance you’ll need is a food processor of some sort. I used one like this:
- 1 x tin of chickpeas
- 1/2 a big clove of garlic, or 1 small clove
- lemon juice (bottled is fine)
- 2 teaspoons of tahini
- 1 x glug of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x splash of water
- 4 or 5 slices of jalapeno pepper
- salt and pepper to season
- Crush or chop the garlic glove up into little pieces and add to the blender.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, put aside 7 or 8 for later, and add the rest to the blender.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Add the tahini.
- Add the olive oil (just a little glug)
- Add the water (don’t overdo it, just a splash – you can add more later if needed.)
- Add the jalapeno slices.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Blitz the living fuck out of it until it’s the consistency of hummus.
- Serve with the unblitzed chickpeas and, if you like, a sprinkling of paprika (smoked paprika is particularly nice.)
And that’s literally it. Jalapeno Hummus. Great with celery or a great big fucking bag of crisps.